An Account of God's Calling to South America

Monday, February 3, 2014

Lost in Translation

Christina, our Angel, showing us around Coyhaique, Chile




Bill and I knew that making a commitment to moving to South America was going to be difficult. But just how difficult, I couldn't even begin to imagine. Sometimes, I believe, that obeying God has to be done much like you made those first scary monumental risks as a child: like when you first learned to dive in the swimming pool, or made your first jump off a cliff into a lake, or took that exciting trip down the ski slope... you just closed your eyes and went for it full force, giving it your all, no matter the consequences. That's what Bill and I have done. Taken the plunge without thinking about all that it could cost....I can't think about it. It hurts too deeply. We walk in faith.

When we arrived in Balmaceda, Chile, no one was waiting to greet us, no one to pick us up and take us to a hotel,  and very minimal knowledge of Spanish. All the good-byes and parties were over. Family was now only communicable through Internet or phone. So lonely and scary. And when we walked out of the Balmaceda airport and were hit by a whipping wind that forced us to put on our down jackets....this being summer....we asked ourselves if we really were right in knowing God's will.

This reminded me of a story my husband often tells of a friend whose father took him to Bolivia when he was a child. Then, for reasons unknown, the father just up and left the child in Bolivia with a woman that was a stranger and went back to the states. The child had no idea of anything...no family, friends, or knowledge of Spanish. Somehow, through the grace of God, this boy survived and became a soldier for Christ, but not without going through some harrowing obstacles. Now my situation wasn't that severe, but I felt, even though I was following God's leading, that I was in a land of the unknown, to say the least. 

It took an hour for a bus to take us to our destination, Coyhaique (pronounced Co ee ay kee). We had chosen an "Americanized" hotel for the sake of familiarity, and it was beautiful, expensive, and sterile. The staff were kind but a tad reserved, which is not uncommon due to my husband's somewhat unusual appearance, and they couldn't take the place of our family and friends back home. For the next day, it seemed that people were trying to tolerate us, but there was a bit of frustration from the locals in the public arena due to our communication breakdown. I couldn't help but be embarrassed. I figured that the people we came in contact with were wondering why in the world we would travel to a Spanish speaking nation, without being prepared with a proper dialect. And they would be correct. But here we were....lost in translation. Finding out any simple information is crazy without knowing the ways of where your are, how to handle money, where and what to eat, and especially how to catch a taxi or bus!

By day two, Bill and I woke up with hearts that were heavy of dread for the future and missing our past back in Louisiana. At daylight my eyes flew open, and I couldn't decide if I was sick from nerves, or maybe just jet lag. That particular type of dread just zaps your energy and ability to focus on anything positive at all. It even effects you physically. When I get like this, nothing is effective like prayer. That's the only solution to the problem. Bill and I were both feeling this way, but we weren't wanting to tell the other so to not worry the other. Finally, I opened the can of worms and assured him that I was ok and knew God was in this, but I was depressed and scared. We both hurriedly got on our knees and started fighting off the demonic pressure that was trying to ruin what God was trying to do through us. Of course, this wasn't going to be easy. Then, as we were praying, we asked God to send us someone that could help us.

As we were walking lost through town, a tiny little woman with a huge smile came up to us and started making pleasant conversation with us in English...Yes! She was from Spain and been traveling for over 10 years.  An incredible free spirited woman, she had chosen to hitchhike around the world, with her first trip hitchhiking from Spain to China. She explained that she traveled with very little or no money, and that people were always willing to help. Now before you get too judgmental, she had no intentions of freeloading. She always tried to do things for others to compensate for how they helped her, such as cooking and cleaning, or serving as a tour guide. This woman had no intentions on getting a "job," although her skills were monumental, including speaking Spanish, Italian, German, and English. But for now, she was just wanting to see what she could see, enjoying the view and people along the way. After she took us around the town, introducing us to locals and showing us the places we needed to know, she invited us to a home she was staying in and cooked a delicious meal for us.

Now although I have no desire to hitchhike around the world without money or a job, her perception of life couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I was feeling closed and intimidated. Unloved and frustrated. She was open and loving and viewed life positively. She even kindly reprimanded me for being afraid. She explained that fear will keep one from living and enjoying life.

Christina spent the whole day taking us around the city of Coyhaique, introducing us to the locals and telling our story to whomever we met. She explained to me that she wanted to get our story out so that people would trust us, and be there for us. Amazing. Now even though this lady's ways were too free spirited for me, I simply was overwhelmed with her kindness only moments after meeting her. Even my ever so skeptical husband thought she was great. We thoroughly enjoyed her and have benefited from her meeting in several ways. On our day with her, she introduced us to three different people that we are now becoming friends with, which is making a difference on how we are perceiving Coyhaique. And there is no way we would be doing as well as we are if we hadn't met her. Many blessings to you, Christina! It is unbelievable all the different ways that God works in our lives. I have no idea about Christina's preference to God. She quickly knew ours and seemed to have a respect for it. But regardless, she was there for us when we needed her. Our angel. Praise God.

 It really is amazing how God provides, but we have to be totally open to Him, and not our ways. Now that is difficult. For us to really just wait for him to lead our paths is never a miss, but it is our  job to be in His word and presence so that we recognize his steps and not ours. Sometimes easier said than done.

So now I write with a much lighter heart. I still have no idea where we are going to live, how to make a living, or exactly God's purpose, but just in the case of meeting Christina, God has this, we just have to let it flow....and wait for the translation to be heard!

We find ourselves around some wonderful Chileans who are willing to communicate through gestures, bless their hearts, and are steadily trying to teach us about their words and culture. God bless them. I am sure that I will still have days where I wake up with dread and fear, but I will just do what I did on that day in the hotel room and hurriedly get on my knees and ask for God's presence....that's is really all we have that brings joy.

3 comments:

  1. I can only imagine your heartache for your family and friends back here and how hard it was for you to go, but so deeply admire you for following where you believe He wants you. Few of us are really committing to go "wherever He leads." Most testimonies begin with the thought, "But what if He wants me to go to AFRICA?!" I have to admit, I've thought it myself. But He is going to honor your obedience and the fact that you are finding favor with the Chileans and help, shows He is leading and guiding you. Praying for comfort, peace, and boldness in your new life. (I am keeping an eye on a few of your little ones. They are being loved on an extra bit by all right now. But we'll never come close to filling y'all's shoes. Not even a toe' worth. I'm counting on Him to provide a way for you to visit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to pray for your quest and know that God is with you every step. You call it a step at a time but. it is actually a gigantic leap of faith I csnt cannot imagine making the transition. I hope one day my faith is as strong as you and Bill's is. y'all are in my daily thoughts and prayers we love you both and know you are soldiers on the front lines for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us updated though this blog, Leslie. I think of, and pray for you guys all the time. ~yancey

    ReplyDelete