An Account of God's Calling to South America

Friday, February 7, 2014

The Fascination of Trekkers

I realize that I have, up until now, lead a somewhat sheltered life. And for that I am proud. God has always protected me and given me a life of abundance through family and friends. But my realm of living has been within a small circle, something that I, again, am thankful for. But lately, I have come across different people from different parts of the world that have opened my eyes to the beauty of traveling around this awesome planet and learning the different cultures and people.....trekkers. People that come from varied walks of life and travel the world to see what they can see. Some trek for experience, others for an inner spiritual high....whatever the reason, I can't help but be smitten for the boldness that these trekkers possess, traveling by bus or airplane, hitchhiking, and walking hundreds or even thousands of miles for an indefinite amount of time, obtaining life-long learning through experience.

What has absolutely blown me away is that I am constantly meeting women who are traveling by themselves here in South America. Not hindered by fear, but anxious to view and experience different points of interest and the people that go along with it. Being the nosy person that I am with a bit of "mothering" in me, I am drawn to these women, asking questions about their journeys. Most of these ladies are educated and lovely, just feeling a need to travel while they are young.

What I enjoy the most is having conversations with trekkers not only about where they have traveled, but also about their homes. My favorite people thus far were a woman from Spain and two young men from Israel, who were so eager to share about their home culture and reasons for their journeying. One thing is for certain, by learning about others, you also gather information about yourself.

If I were to draw a conclusion based on stereotypes, which I tend to do at times, I would have to say that Europeans are much more willing to go to foreign places than the average American. Of course I have met several American trekkers, but for the most part, the foreigners in these parts are from Europe. That's is not saying anything positive or negative for anyone, just an observation that may or may not be factual. I so believe, however,  that everyone should take an International trip at least once in his or her lifetime, if possible,  just for the mere awareness that traveling brings. It seems to cause a more open mind toward others, which helps loving and respecting people to be more of a reality, helping to break possible unhealthy barriers of prejudice. But flipping that coin, my home in Louisiana contains many people who choose not to travel and are the most wonderful loving people that I feel certain would welcome anyone in, regardless of nationality or any other "barrier."

I guess what  I admire the most about these trekkers is their love of life and refusal to let fear rule their freedom to see places and meet people. I'm telling you, going out is scary to me. I really have to put myself in a certain mindset to even walk around a strange town and greet people. But for the most part, from what I've seen in my limited travels, people are kind to those who are kind to them, giving a few exceptions, of course.

I hope that during this time of  life while I am meeting new people and going to new places each day, that I will represent an ideology that is positive, and not only speaks well for whom I stand, Jesus Christ, but also transcends an image that speaks highly for  the people whom I represent:  my family,  friends, and home.
                                                                Christina, from Spain

 Martina and David, from Slovenia

 Taneesh, from Ohio (living in Santiago)

 These Trekkers were from Israel (I never got their names)


Alex and Crystal, from California (Los Angeles )

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I think that's neat, and think I probably could relate to some of these trekkers. Lol Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete