An Account of God's Calling to South America

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wood Stove Culture

It was so strange about 20 years ago when Bill and I decided we wanted to have a wood stove to use for cooking in Louisiana. Lots of people had fireplaces, but we didn't know anyone who used a wood stove for their cooking. We decided it was a great way to heat the house in the winter, as well as provide a free way to heat water, cook, etc..Not to mention it really does a great job cooking breads. So we used the stove on a part time basis, letting the ole Home Comfort rest during the summer months.

Now, staying in Chile, it amazes me that I am surrounded by people living in Coyhaique who all use wood stoves for cooking. And they provide a heating system for people's homes and water, as well. Amazing. What is even more surprising is walking through the town and looking at all the different stores that provide wood stoves....all colors and styles, differing in width and height. You name it, they have it...and they are relatively inexpensive compared to the wood stoves sold in nonelectric catalogs in the U.S. such as Lehmans and Cumberlands, which mainly appeal to the Amish or missionaries abroad. I thought it would be great to show you a few stoves, just in case you love them as I do. I can't wait to get my own stove for my home again one day.





No comments:

Post a Comment