An Account of God's Calling to South America

Friday, April 4, 2014

Farm Friends

Now that Bill and I are staying temporarily on a farm outside of Coyhaique, Chile, we have many friends around that farm that prove to be quite interesting....the farm animals. Now I can't say that I have obtained a relationship with all of the farm because that would be impossible, considering the number of cows, sheep, and chickens. But there are a few fellows that Bill and I have drawn quite fond of.

When we first arrived at the farm as volunteer workers, we were a bit shocked to find that our cabin was adjacent to the pig pen and yard....literally. But now, six weeks later, I find that not only do I enjoy the pigs, especially the piglets, but I even get some sort of comfort from their presence....I know, I think the mountain altitude, although not that high, may be getting to me. When "Big Boy," the boar rubs up against the wall at night, he is so close to my bedroom in the cabin that it sounds like he is in the room....that would've annoyed me, to say the least, a year ago, and now it is something that I find amusing. Bill babies the piglets, and was so upset when he went out to the yard one day to find them rolling around and stumbling, only to find out they were simply drunk from too much cherry mash that Ingmar, the farm owner, had given them. They were absolutely fine after they slept it off, but I must say that was the first time I ever saw a drunk pig!

When it comes to Chilean farms that are always equipped with sheep, one cannot have sheep without a sheep dog....which brings us to Lota, the famous Chilean not-so-great-of-a-shepherd sheep dog. He is so sweet, but he is more into terrorizing the sheep that herding them. But he is cute.

Last of the animals that I am particularly fond of is Walter the goat. He loves me and acts somewhat like a dog, allowing me to pet him and love all over him. However, he is bad about butting heads with the "kids," the farm owner's children.

Bill and I hope to one day have a farm of our own, and certainly hope to have animals as enjoyable as these have proven to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment